星期日, 6 4 月, 2025
Home PV Project Security Council renews discussion to support Annan in Syria

Security Council renews discussion to support Annan in Syria

UN Security Council members on Tuesday resumed discussion of a draft statement that would provide support and strengthen Kofi Annan's mission in Syria, dpa reported.


Annan, the joint special envoy for the United Nations and Arab League, had called for the Security Council's support for his diplomatic efforts to end the violence in Syria, in which, by UN estimates, more than 8,000 people have died since March 2011.


Diplomats said the closed-door discussion among the 15 council members was to assess reactions to the draft from governments in the last 24 hours. They said the draft statement would be issued publicly if council members were to agree to it.


The draft would support the six points that Annan presented as proposals to end the violence when he met with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on March 9-10 in Damascus.


The six points include demands for Syria: to commit to work with Annan in an inclusive, Syrian-led political dialogue to address the legitimate aspirations and concerns of the Syrian people; to commit to stop the fighting under a UN-supervised ceasefire "in all its forms by all parties"; and to ensure timely provision of humanitarian assistance to all areas affected by the fighting.


The draft would call for freedom of movement throughout Syria for journalists and ensure freedom of association and the right to demonstrate peacefully as legally guaranteed.


Annan sent a team of experts Sunday to Damascus to discuss his six-point plan. Last week, he asked the Security Council to speak with one voice on Syria and to back his diplomatic efforts to end the conflict.


The council is divided about how to end the killing in Syria, with Russia and China having vetoed two resolutions condemning the government of President Bashir al-Assad's severe human rights violations.


The other permanent members – the United States, Britain and France – along with Portugal and Germany supported such a condemnation.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Ningbo Deye Will Invests 16GWh Energy Storage

Ningbo Deye Technology Group’s subsidiary locked in a pact to build a colossal energy storage facility, not only boosting its stock value but also...

Trump tariffs on solar panels to spur Chinese investment in the US

Chinese companies are likely to increase their production of solar panels in the US to mitigate any fallout from possible higher tariffs on their...

How U.S. tariffs could affect solar imports

On Feb. 1, the United States announced a 25% tariff on Mexican goods and non-oil and gas imports from Canada. Canadian oil and gas...

Solar power to energize European football, UEFA teaming up with SolarPower Europe

The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and SolarPower Europe have partnered to advance sustainability in European football through solar energy. The collaboration focuses on...