星期日, 6 4 月, 2025
Home PV Project Non-residential solar projects now have more time to secure ITC with latest...

Non-residential solar projects now have more time to secure ITC with latest safe harbor extensions

The Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issued guidance this week that extends safe harbor provisions for non-residential solar projects under Section 48 of the investment tax credit (ITC). This addresses impacts from the COVID-19 pandemic, which included project delays and supply shortages, that prevented some large projects from meeting deadlines to secure tax credits.

“The COVID pandemic disrupted supply chains, created significant permitting delays and jeopardized the timely completion of many renewable projects,” said Gregory Wetstone, president and CEO of advocacy group American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE). “Today’s IRS notice aimed at mitigating those COVID-related impacts is a welcome development and will go a long way toward ensuring these important clean energy projects get done.”

The new IRS guidance extends the safe harbor from four to six years for projects that began construction from 2016 to 2019. Safe harbor was extended from four to five years for projects that began construction in 2020.

The notice also provides a new choice to demonstrate continuous work, known as a continuity requirement, on a project, providing for the ability to utilize one of two standards, regardless of how an earlier decision was made on how to commence construction.

“Many solar companies have faced significant disruptions to their project timelines due to COVID-19, and this new notice from the IRS will give them much-needed breathing room to complete these projects,” said Abigail Ross Hopper, president and CEO of advocacy group Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA). “Over the last year and a half, the pandemic disrupted supply chains, shipping and construction operations, permitting processes and financing timelines. Without clarity on safe harbor rules from the IRS, some of these solar projects, and the local economic benefits they bring, would not have made it across the finish line. Businesses now have the certainty they need to keep these projects moving forward, and we thank our federal leaders at the Treasury Department for making this decision.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Ningbo Deye Will Invests 16GWh Energy Storage

Ningbo Deye Technology Group’s subsidiary locked in a pact to build a colossal energy storage facility, not only boosting its stock value but also...

Trump tariffs on solar panels to spur Chinese investment in the US

Chinese companies are likely to increase their production of solar panels in the US to mitigate any fallout from possible higher tariffs on their...

How U.S. tariffs could affect solar imports

On Feb. 1, the United States announced a 25% tariff on Mexican goods and non-oil and gas imports from Canada. Canadian oil and gas...

Solar power to energize European football, UEFA teaming up with SolarPower Europe

The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and SolarPower Europe have partnered to advance sustainability in European football through solar energy. The collaboration focuses on...